Career Success Tools
What is your vision for career success?
- Doing work you love
- Making a meaningful contribution to society
- Earning enough money to live the lifestyle of your choice
- Creating a balanced interface between career and lifestyle
- Having a flexible schedule
- Achieving wealth and status
Your vision of career success may be vastly different from your neighbor’s, but in any case, it begins with defining what it is you want.
Whether you are fed up with your current job, or you are beginning a new chapter in your life, it’s important to begin with questions.
Build your success map!
Taking the time now to define what you want will help you create a solid success map for both your career and your personal life.
- What type of work do you want to do?
- How much money do you want to make?
- What kinds of hours do you want to work?
- Do you want to eventually retire? If so, when?
- Is it important for you to have extra spare time to spend with family and friends?
- Is it important to you that you enjoy the work that you do, or is making a lot of money quickly the bottom line?
- Where would you like to be in one year? In five years? In ten years?
Planning for Career Success
In the many years that I have worked in the career services field, the most common answer to the question, “What kind of work do you want to do?” is, “Something I will enjoy doing!” This answer is the same for retirees seeking a second career as it is for young people just entering the work force, and for people looking to earn more money, change careers, or returning to the work force after a period of absence.
In the United States, work occupies a significant portion of our days, our years, and our lives, so it only makes sense that we choose a career we enjoy. Work is less stressful, tiring, and demanding of us when we are doing work we enjoy, or when we are making a personally meaningful contribution to others by way of service, product, or vision.
The following pages will help you explore the many aspects of career success and avoid common success mistakes.
Work You Love
If your work is not the joyful center of your world, you may be in the wrong career! Discover how to create and do work you love!
Job burnout can negatively impact many other areas of your life. Discover what you can do.
Career Success Planning
Planning is the foundation of any successful endeavor in life. Learn to apply proven planning techniques to the world of work.
Here you will find the fundamental success tools for mastering every aspect of your life.
Living on Purpose
For more information on traditional career tools, such as resumes, cover letters, and interviewing, visit
Career Success Tools
(back to the top)
Steps to Success
Personal Development Worksheets
Positive Change Tools for Success